Monday, April 25, 2022

I

 Is this really going to happen?


I have started this blog a number of times and then the cruises are canceled and I am back to playing the waiting and hoping game.


Here is a post I made on a previous incarnation of this blog:

After having a cruise cancelled in the middle and my summer cruise cancelled, I was ready to sail again so I booked the 2021 HAL Grand World Voyage.  Of course, it was canceled a month after I booked.  So I was trying to decide how I would spend my future cruise credits.  When the world cruise was canceled in March we were given the choice of getting 125% of our base fare as a future cruise credit or getting 50% back in cash and 50% as a future cruise credit.  I chose the 125% so I had more than the cost of another world cruise.

When the 2021 world cruise was canceled the booking was transferred to the 2022.  I still needed to decide on the way to spend the rest of the money.  I prefer long cruises so I started looking at the Grand Africa voyage.  It would cover many of the ports missed on this year's world voyage and go to some countries that I have not been to (I may finally get to see the lemurs in Madagascar which has been cancelled on two previous voyages!). 

I decided that the easiest way to plan it was by taking the 2021 Grand Africa, then a Caribbean Holiday cruise (2 weeks) and then the 2022 World Voyage.  That would mean less packing/unpacking, flights, and hotel stays.  

I booked earlier this week and I will be on the same ship (ms Zaandam) from October 10, 2021 - May 12, 2022.  First the Grand Africa for 71 days, then a two week Caribbean  holiday cruise, and then the 128 day World cruise for a total of 214 days.

Of course, all that changed as well.  The 2021 Grand Africa and the 2022 Grand World Voyage were both canceled.  I was then rebooked on the 2022 Grand Africa and the 2023 GWV (with the holiday cruise in between) but then Holland America decided to switch the world cruise to a larger ship which meant I could not stay on the entire time.  Oy vey!

So, here is how it stands now.  I will be on Zaandam from October 10, 2022 - December 20, 2022.  I will then have to schlep all my stuff (I do not travel light!) to a hotel for two nights and then get on the Zuiderdam from December 22, 2022 - May 12, 2023.  When I originally booked this, I could not get the same cabin for the holiday cruise as I had for the world (yuck, another move), but a few weeks ago the cabin became available and I snatched it up, so now I will only have to unpack once when I get on Zuiderdam.

As it is now less than six months out, I am feeling more confident that it will really happen.  I will update as things begin to happen (such as getting information from my travel agency about excursions, itinerary, etc.).  

Keep your fingers crossed!

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...