Thursday, November 24, 2022

A HO-HO Day in Cape Town - November 24 


My original plan had been to walk to the CBD and look around but Jeremy said in his port talk that you should take a taxi if you were going there.  After my recent incidence, I decided to do the Hop on-Hop off bus instead.


There was a desk in the cruise terminal to buy the ticket and it was an inexpensive 275 Rand (about $16).  The closest pick-up point was across the street just pass the Radisson Red where we will be staying in March.  As I normally do, I made one complete loop around.  We drove through the CBD, through Bo-Kaap and up to the cable car that goes up Table Mountain.  The view was spectacular so I didn't feel the need to go up on the cable car.  We continued on to the other side of the mountain and through the communities of Camps Bay, Clifton, Bantry Bay, Seal Point and were then back to the Victoria Wharf area.  


Since it was getting close to noon, I was hungry and decided that I would find something in the V&A Food Market.  I settled on a "rolla" that had beef, mozarella cheese, tomatoes, avocado, creme fraiche, and rocket salad.  It was delicious.  Lunch was slightly more expensive than yesterday - about $8.25.


I then boarded the bus again and rode to the CBD where I got off.  Once again, the downtown area was very disappointing.  I was thinking it would be like Sydney or Auckland but except for the historic buildings, it was disappointing.  I hopped on the next HOHO bus and did the loop again back to Victoria Wharf.  I spent some time looking around but again did not buy anything.


When I got back to the terminal, we had to go through the immigration process and once we had done that, we had to get on the ship and could not get back off.  Although sail-away was not scheduled until 11pm, everyone had to be back on board by 8:30.


Two of my trivia team came for the 7pm game and we were joined by another man whose team did not show.  Then on to dinner to find out that nobody else at my table was there.  Judy and Bob invited me to join them for Thanksgiving dinner.  HAL had tried to decorate a little for the event.


There was no show tonight.


Sea day tomorrow.


7pm trivia - We had 14 out of 18 and the winning team had 15.  It had a movie theme.

1.  Who was the first Disney Princess to have a tattoo?

2.  How many Oscars has Meryl Streep won?

3.  In what 1959 Marilyn Monroe movie was the last line, "Well, nobody's perfect"?

4.  In Speed, why was Annie's driver's license taken away?

5.  What was the name of the Los Angeles hotel featured in Pretty Woman?



1.  Pocahontas

2.  3

3.  Some Like It Hot

4.  speeding

5.  Beverly Wiltshire


Smooth sailing until next time!




Although it is a bit of a walk out of the terminal, all you have to do is "follow the yellow brick road".

Left - a silo converted into a museum  Right - ????


Bartolomeu Dias, the Portuguese explorer


tribute to the soldiers of WWI, WWII, and Korea


above and below are pictures of the CBD


Table Mountain cable cars


view into town - can you spot the Zaandam?


Pictures along the Bay







behind the trees is the stadium built for the 2010 FIFA World Cup



Beautiful housing and not so beautiful





A few more pictures from the Victoria Wharf area
where I had lunch



the four South African Nobel Prize winners
Albert Lutuli, Desmond Tutu, F.W. de Klerk, and Nelson Mandela


much prettier view than yesterday


Pictures from the Thanksgiving Dinner in the Dining Room



No comments:

Post a Comment

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...