Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Almost a Medical Disembark - December 27 


And so the saga of woe continues.  I slept for about three hours and when I got up and stepped up into the bathroom. I twisted my left side and I could feel muscles pulling.  Great - now my left and right sides were out of commission.  I was afraid if I got back in bed, I would never get out, so I sat on the sofa.  


I fell asleep sitting up for a few minutes at a time until my head flopped to the side.  I played games on the computer for some while, killing time until the medical center opened at 8.  My plan was to get up and get dressed about 7:30 to go down there.  My plan was foiled by the fact I could not stand up.  I ended up calling 911 again, who sent my room stewards and someone with a wheelchair.  


With much pain (and a few screams on my part - I am a pain wuss), they got me up and into the chair and I was off to my new home-away-from-home.  When I got there, Dr. Vos was not happy that I was not improving more and that this new pain would not help.  She said if the next IV didn't help, she was going to medically disembark me - in Cozumel, Mexico!  My Mexican is limited to si, no, taco, burrito, and a few more.  I did start crying at that point and pleaded with her not to do it.


Luckily, the IV helped the new left side strain and I was able to get out of bed twice on my own and walk to the bathroom and later to the wheelchair for the ride back to my cabin.  I am due to see her again on the 29th (when we return to Fort Lauderdale) at 8am for another evaluation.


From the way I feel right now, I am not very optimistic.  The difficulty I am having walking because of the right-side pain is making my life miserable.  As little as I want to give up the world cruise, there is no way I could enjoy it if it takes everything I have just to get to the Lido.


I am hoping and praying that the meds will kick in (I am on day four of the prednisolone and day three of the others) so there is still a chance.


After hobbling back from the Lido, I took a three hour nap in the bed (both the doctor and the nurse repeatedly told me not to sleep on the sofa) and from which I was able to get up from with only minor pain. I killed some more time on the computer.


At about 6:40, I started getting ready for a 7pm dinner at the Pinnacle with Kathy and Mike.  We had a very enjoyable dinner and they offered to take a couple of things off of my hands if I do get disembarked on Thursday.


We talked until 9:45 and then back to my cabin.  The front right leg pain has ceased for the time being (yea!), but my right backside pain still feels like a stake is being driven into me and is very much like the pain when I had the piriformis problem earlier in the year, only in a different location.


I have had such nice comments from so many of you and I appreciate all of them.  Please continue keeping me in your thoughts.


Smooth sailing until next time!

7 comments:

  1. I am so, so sorry this is happening to you… Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to help. Hoping the meds kick in. Sending much love and cyber hugs, ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathi! I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this. I hope you get relief asap! Is there any way that you can see someone in FLL? Thoughts and prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so hoping for a different update. I wish I could help in some way but I have no expertise in anything that would help. I am thinking of you and you have all my good wishes that something works and you are feeling relief soon.
    Gail (1of4)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kathi, I was hoping that this post was going to report that the pain had miraculously disappeared. 🙁 I have been following your journey and feel so sad that you have gone from walking miles each day (and even when you were in quarantine!) to struggling just to get out of bed. Know that you have many followers praying that you get relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kathi, I am so sorry to read all of this. Praying for fast improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seth thinks it’s your sciatica nerve that’s causing your pain. Hoping you find relief very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hate that you’re not getting better.
    Alternate heat and cold. Lots of fluids sleep and rest as much as you can. Praying things will get better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...