Sunday, December 11, 2022

A Morning in Mindelo, Cape Verde - December 11


Today we had something different - another cruise ship in port.  This was Mein Schiff Herz, a German cruise ship.  I don't remember being in port with any other cruise ships this entire cruise.


Judy (Dr's mom) called me and asked if I wanted to go into town on the shuttle, which I did.  I called Judy (Lee) to see if she wanted to go but she was still not back 100% from yesterday.  


 The shuttle only took a few minutes and we then started walking around.  There was one small shop open (it was a Sunday) and we looked around before heading up the street to Our Lady of the Light Cathedral built in 1862.  There was no service going on so we were able to go in and look around.  There were many people visiting from our ship and the German one.


We decided to walk down one of the streets and saw a market that had many of the stalls open and were doing a good business with all the tourists in town.  There was a small kiosk selling drinks, so I tried one of the local beers, Stela.  While we were there we met up with Marlis, one of my knitting friends, so the three of us walked together back to the shuttle.


The town was pretty clean and the beach we passed, which was right in the center of town, was beautiful and there were quite a few people enjoying the clear blue water on a pretty, sunny day.


Back on board, Judy (Dr's mom) and I ate lunch in the Lido before she went to see today's movie in the Wajang Theater, Sully.


I had my appointment with the doctor at 4 pm and it was a waste of time and money.  I came away with nothing more than being told to continue taking naproxen and to have an MRI.  I have to admit I indulged in a pity party for most of the afternoon thinking about all the things I couldn't do while on the world cruise if this problem doesn't get better. I don't get down often but I sure did today. 


We had a complimentary wine and cheese sail-away and I was definitely not very good company, although my friends had saved me a seat.  The Ocean Bar Band played for an hour and a half and people were having a great time.


I went to 7 pm trivia and then to dinner.  It was a girl's night - Bob and Pete did not come.  The three of us sat and talked until 9 pm (I had not planned to go to the show - a comedian).


We now have five sea days until San Juan, Puerto Rico.


We gain an hour again tonight.


7pm trivia - I had 11 out of 18 and two teams had 15

1.  This animal's fingerprints so closely resemble humans that it is difficult to differentiate.  What animal is this?

2.  John Lennon changed his middle name from Winston in 1969.  To what did he change it?

3.  Bright's Disease affects which part of the body?

4.  In 1999, the world's population hit an even number of how many billions?

5.  Which country disintegrated into civil war after the death of its leader, Marshal Tito in 1980?






1.  koala

2.  Ono

3.  kidneys

4.  6

5.  Yugoslavia


Smooth sailing until next time!

                   Street scenes







above - exterior of Our Lady of the Light Cathedral
below - interior



above and below - interesting doors



the market



tile pictures in the market



Cape Verde beer


cats, of course



museum - design based on Belem Tower in Lisbon







Views from the ship


Farol do Ilheu dos Passaros - a lighthouse on an islet


our neighbor





above and below - Sail-away party





1 comment:

  1. Are you able to book an MRI on one of your turn around days in Florida? It will cost out of pocket probably unless your doctor can get involved but they can at least send the results to him/her and maybe they can prescribe something. There should be lots of private MRI places in southern Florida.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...