Saturday, December 17, 2022

A Very Brief Visit to Old San Juan - December 17


We were told a few days ago that we would not be docking right in the old town because we had to have a Coast Guard inspection.  We also had to go through immigration since this was our first U.S. port.  Yesterday, we received a notice that there would be four groups called to leave the ship for immigration and nobody could return to the ship until there was a zero count. Since these groups were labeled A, B, C, and D, I expected them to be called in order, which they were not.  A and C were groups with people on HAL excursions.  B was for those with independent plans and D for those not planning on anything but getting back on the ship after being seen by immigration.


Group B was called first although a lot of people were still around the ship.  About an hour later it was announced that everyone needed to get off and be processed.  Not sure if A and C were only called in the World Stage (meeting place for excursions) or what.


I had not planned on leaving until Group D was called because it was raining and was supposed to clear up later but when I heard the announcement, I decided I had better go. 


Getting off the ship was not easy because the gangway was very steep and wet.  Many of us had to be helped down and then there was the walk in the rain (but I had brought my umbrella).  What I hadn't thought of was my cane kept slipping on the wet pavement.  


There was no line and I walked up to the officer, he had me look into a camera, looked at my passport and off I went.  


The shuttle took about 10 minutes to get us to Plaza de Colon which I recognized from my tour in 2018.  My hip was really hurting (have I mentioned my hip now hurts more than the leg?) and I was worried about the cane slipping so I did a walk about 2/3 of the way around the square, took a few pictures, and then waited for the shuttle.


I got back to the terminal at about 11 and they had still not zeroed out the ship, so people were still sitting or standing in the terminal.  As I arrived, Vicki and Dave (trivia partners) were leaving.  I asked if they saw a drug store to buy me some of the heat pain patches (I had used one yesterday that really helped).  Dave said that was where they were headed.


I found Judy (Lee) and Rich and talked to them until we were allowed back on.


After resting my leg, I had lunch in the Lido and Judy (Dr's mom) came by and we talked and found out that we both play Wordus (like Wordle but an app so you can play as much as you want).


It was such a nice day (the sun actually came out), I sat on the Promenade deck and knitted (admittedly I took a short snooze) for over an hour before going back to my cabin.


While I had been waiting for the shuttle I talked to a lady with a rollator and I mentioned how the cane was slipping.  She said she had used a cane but found the rollator more reliable.  She mentioned a company in Fort Lauderdale that rent them for cruises, so I sent them an e-mail asking for a quote.  No response yet and likely won't have one until Monday.  I also took Rich's for a test drive in the terminal and found it distributed my weight better and did not put as much pressure on my left side.


Just before dinner, my room steward brought me a bag from Vicki.  She had gotten me the patches and I put one on before going to dinner.


Only Bob, Judy, and Sherry for dinner tonight which was not very good.  One of the few meals I found disappointing.  There was a "Barn Dance" at 9:30 but I did not go.


Two sea days until we are back in Fort Lauderdale.


Smooth sailing until next time!



Columbus


One of the Christmas decorations


I was less than two feet from this very wet bird - he just sat there blinking his eyes


Castillo San Cristobal





 

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried Quordle? It’s similar to Wordle but you have to solve 4 words in 9 plays. It’s an app.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...