Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Day 4 of Solitary Confinement - Monday, October 17


I ordered the full breakfast to try something different but was not impressed.  The scrambled eggs were runny and the hash brown patty was inedible.  On the other hand, the bacon was delicious and I even ate one of the sausages even though I am not a big fan of them.


After some knitting and crocheting it was time for lunch (my day revolves around food while in captivity).  I started calling at 1:30 and was on hold for half an hour.  By the time I got through, I was too late for the lunch menu so went to my standbys - cheese quesadilla and the chocolate layer cake.  So much better than breakfast!


I received a number of phone calls during the day.  The one person I did not hear from was the nurse who calls every day to see if I have developed any symptoms.   I know I mentioned this before, but the outpouring of friendship has been amazing.  I hear from people who I know and have cruised with before (Janet, Judy(Lee), and Judy(Bob)) but I have also had calls from people that I only know through the roll call.  I had a long talk with Mary Anne who is the only other person I know also in captivity about what our situations are like (more about that later).  I have also had calls from Margaret, Sylvia (who brought me one of the craft kits), and Susan who was nice enough to bring me a sweet treat from Texas!  I also received a pretty hand-painted card from my table-mates, Judy and Bob (not the same Judy and Bob from previous cruises for those of you who are keeping track).


Two major events happened in the afternoon.  The Captain became very popular on board when he announced that masks were no longer mandatory.  They were encouraged, especially in crowds, but not required.  I heard from one of my friends who was in the Ocean Bar that when he broadcast the news there was cheering.


The second was not as monumental except for me.  The water in my shower was getting cooler as the days progressed until I only had about 10 seconds of warm water every once in a while.  I called Guest Services and expected they would put me on a list since I had been told no one was supposed to enter my cabin.  To my surprise, a little while later the plumber knocked on the door.  I opened it and then moved away so he could enter and he fixed it in a few minutes.  I had a lovely, lengthy, warm shower after that.


Good news (maybe).  When I was talking to Mary Anne, she told me that we were going to be tested on the 19th instead of the morning of the 20th (which I had been told twice).  That was confirmed with one of the nurses who said someone would be coming around during the day and giving us another test and then they would call with the results.  That's where the good news becomes a maybe.  Current CDC policy is that if you have no symptoms you can end isolation after Day 5 and wear a mask through Day 10 - with no mention of a negative test being needed.  The question is:  Does HAL follow these guidelines or do they have their own, possibly more stringent, ones?  Do they make you stay in isolation until you test negative?  I took one of the at-home tests I brought with me this evening and it is still showing positive.  I will take another on Tuesday night and then have HAL's test on Wednesday.  Keep your fingers crossed that Wednesday could be my last day of incarceration!


During the afternoon I put together the tiger's eye necklace and earrings.


I had my favorite French Onion Soup, fettuccini, and creme caramel for dinner.


I tried to watch the movie "Aloha" with Bradley Cooper but it did not hold my attention so I gave up after about 25 minutes.  I did watch the next movie, "Sing 2".  I always knit or crochet while I am watching TV.  I should finish the socks I am working on tomorrow.


Since I had only had about six hours of sleep on Sunday night, I expected to fall right asleep.  45 minutes later I gave up trying, took a sleeping pill, and changed the time on all my devices because we were losing another hour overnight.  Another day crossed off my countdown board.


Smooth sailing until next time!



Looked much better than it tasted


Dinner was very good


the card from my table-mates


The tiger's eye necklace and earrings


Another day down!




 

1 comment:

  1. This is Brooke - on CC - Topaz 88 - I was hoping to go on the cruise but circumstances prevented it. I am enjoying reading your blog - you write very well - I feel as if I am in your cabin with you suffering ! What a nuisance to be the sick at the beginning of this great adventure! Perhaps the most optimistic approach is to think that the rest of the trip will be amazing once you are out of your cabin. All the best,

    ReplyDelete

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...