Sunday, November 27, 2022

A Day at the Mall in Walvis Bay, Namibia- November 27


Namibia is another country that requires us to have a face-to-face meeting with the immigration officers.  Unlike in South Africa, the immigration people came on board to process us. When I was here in 2018, I took a tour that went to Swakopmund, Dune 7, and the lagoon with the flamingoes.  There was nothing else I wanted to see.


My friend Judy (Lee) had not been off the ship for some time since her husband has been sick then she became sick.  She needed to get on dry (and since the desert is all around us, very dry) land.  There really is nothing much but houses (you can read my description in the April 7 entry of my 2018 blog) in town, so we took the shuttle to the Dunes Mall which was fairly new in 2018.  It was the place to be.  Lots and lots of people, some grocery shopping, some Christmas shopping, everywhere.  We ended up each buying some clothing (like I didn't bring enough).


The other stop of the shuttle was at the waterfront.  There are a few restaurants (although none looked open) and a souvenir shop and a few stalls of local crafts.  We looked around for a bit and then got on the shuttle.  We thought it was going directly back to the ship but it was actually going to the mall, so we rode back to the mall and then finally back to the ship.


It was then about 2:30 and we were both hungry, so we ended up at the taco bar for lunch.  The ship still had its air conditioning on although it was cloudy and only 61 degrees outside and I couldn't warm up.  Eventually, I decided to get a hot chocolate which finally warmed me up and I could take my coat off.  I'm sure in a few days as we head north to the equator I will be wishing for cooler weather.


I played 7:00 trivia alone - there were very few people there.  None of my tablemates came to dinner so I ate with Bob and Judy.


The show tonight was the Black Melody Cultural Group that performed Namibian songs and dances.  From my pictures, it looks like the same group we saw in 2018 but it had a different name and performed different songs.


We gain an hour tonight and then two sea days.


7pm trivia - I had 12 out of 17 and the winning team had 15.

1.  What is the only country beginning with "Y"?

2.  What is a group of caterpillars called?

3.  The island country of Fiji is in which ocean?

4.  Rosanna and Africa were songs by which American rock band?

5.  What is the mountain in Lord of the Rings that the One Ring must be thrown in?

6.  Which two teams have won the most Super Bowls?



1.  Yemen

2.  army

3.  Pacific

4.  Toto

5.  Mount Doom

6.  Patriots and Steelers (believe it or not, I got that one right!)


Smooth sailing until next time!


Christmas decorations at the mall



We saw one lonely flamingo at the waterfront


From tonight's show







1 comment:

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...