Friday, December 23, 2022

Kids, Kids, Kids, and More Kids - December 22


As you know I like the longer cruises.  Longer cruises mean fewer children.  Add to that the fact that HAL ships don't have water slides, skating rinks, costumed characters, or flow riders, it has the reputation of being a floating seniors' home.  So, seeing hundreds (rumor has it at least 400 but it could easily be more) of babies through teenagers is a tad disconcerting.


Thank goodness for my rollator or I would have never made it to the ship.  After schlepping my two big suitcases downstairs (one at a time), I still had my purse which was full of usual purse things plus money, documents, my phone, my iPad Mini, and my laptop. I also had my duffel bag which was full of all that it had come off the ship with and all the things I purchased in Fort Lauderdale (mainly pain relievers of one sort or another).  I would never have been able to carry them but they rode nicely on the seat of the rollator.


The taxi came at about 11:20 and the driver was so nice taking care of me that he got a generous tip with a Christmas bonus.  While I was in the taxi, I received a phone call from my orthopedic doctor's nurse.  My friend, Frances, convinced me to call, just in case they could prescribe something for me.  Since my last visit with them had been over six months ago and this was an altogether different issue, she didn't think they could do anything but promised to call me back if they could figure anything out (I did not get a call).


Although my check-in time was not until noon and it was about 11:35, once again they did not ask and I was directed through security, they scanned my passport, sent me to the elevator, and into the line to get on the ship - which was the only slow spot in the procedure.  I was on the ship by noon.


I had lunch in the Lido (selections look very much like Zaandam's although they don't seem to have the self-serve taco bar - someone makes them for you) and started collecting my Coke Zeroes.  After lunch, my dinner friends from 2018 and 2020, came over and we sat and talked for a while.


Sail-away was a little after 4:15 and I was out on deck and met up with Rich from the Cruise Critic Roll Call (we had never met in person before).


When I returned to my cabin, all six suitcases had arrived.  Two were on the bed.  I tried to unpack one but didn't get far because I was hurting when I bent over, stood up, picked up anything, or just about any other movement.  I found the bottle of Tylenol and took two and rested for a bit.  


After a very unsatisfactory dinner in the Lido, I changed my mind about eating dinner there each night.  I may break my own rule about dressing up for dinner in the dining room (since it might take me until February to finish unpacking). 


I played trivia with Rich and a lady named Betty.  I didn't get far afterwards and ended up doing music trivia with Rich (who was very good).  That was the end of my social calendar for the day.


I met my room stewards (or I guess I should say steward and stewardess [or is the feminine distinction passe?]), Frances and Eka.  They were so nice and actually put things from the first suitcase I had opened away for me and then put the suitcase under the bed.


I totally ran out of steam early (I only got three hours of sleep last night because I could not get comfortable) and was hurting, so I went to bed after only typing the title of this entry (I am working on it as everyone is off frolicking on Half Moon Cay).


Update:  I lost connection with the internet while this was posting and had thrown out the trivia questions before I could get back online.  


Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathi, I am glad to hear you got a rollator and picked up a supply of meds. I don't know what you think of this, but maybe a heat pad and ice pack to alternate with the meds. Maybe you will hear back from the doctor's office between the end of the Holiday cruise and the WC.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...