Saturday, December 24, 2022

 A Mental Reset - December 24


Although my sleeping on the couch went well, the pain was still awful, so I called and made an appointment at the medical center.  What a difference from Dr. Smoky (that's what I am calling the doctor on Zaandam as I don't know his name and saw him all the time out on the back deck smoking).


I saw Dr. Odette Vos and she had an amazing bedside manner.  After answering all her questions, she decided it was a chronic muscle problem.  She ruled out nerves and bone because of the way it moved from place to place - left to right, front to back, upper leg to torso.  She said Holly (I have named my Christmas rollator that) was the best thing I could have done.  The side-to-side thing with the cane would have continued aggravating muscles and shifting the pain.  She was very positive and for the first time in a few days, I really believe I will be able to do the world cruise.


She prescribed 14 days of prednisolone (she said 5 was not nearly enough, like on Zaandam) and gave me a cortisone and anti-inflammatory shot, as well.  I can still take the ibuprofen and acetaminophen, if needed.  She will be talking to me again in about 48 hours. 


I took my first dose of medicine after lunch in the Lido.  I then emptied another suitcase before afternoon trivia.  Afterwards, I rested for a bit (just sitting and relaxing, not snoozing) until getting ready for a Dressy night.  


Who says people don't like to dress up?  Most everyone looked very elegant and the little kids were adorable.  The photographers were doing a booming business.


My first night in the Dining Room and it was all the craziness I remembered from my one cruise on Royal Caribbean where we had anytime dining.  I arrived a few minutes before my reservation time of 7:45 but it still took about ten minutes to be seated.


Holly and I made it to the stage for the Jukebox Rogue's performance of "Frankie's Guys" which featured the songs of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  I met up with Kathy and Mike on the way in and we sat together.


I would have liked to have gone to the 11:00 Christmas songs but I have limited energy.  Unless I feel amazing, I will not be getting off in Jamaica tomorrow.  


I have been quite lax with pictures but hopefully, soon I will have my energy back and not fall asleep so quickly in the evening.


4:30 Trivia - We had 14 out of 18 and the winning team had 17

1.  The Landlord's Game is now known as what?

2.  What is the southernmost capital in Asia?

3.  To what muralist was Freida Kahlo married?

4.  What was the title of the fourth Harry Potter book?

5.  The inventor of what cylindrical food container wanted his ashes buried in it?



1.  Monopoly

2.  Jakarta

3.  Diego Rivera

4.  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

5.  Pringles can


Smooth sailing until next time!

7 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Kathi! I sincerely hope you continue to get relief from pain and enjoy the WC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was from Gail (1of4), sorry I am slow at working out how different programs work!

      Delete
    2. Mere Christmas to all four of four. I can’t get over how you now have young adults rather than kids!

      Delete
  2. A good doctor makes a world of difference - so glad for you! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you are still having so much pain. Since the current Doc thinks it's more a muscle problem have you considered massage? Not sure if the spa people on board are massage therapists but even if not a simple massage might help to loosen up those muscles. I have a chronic back issue & find a good massage therapist can work wonders. Have followed your blog & I feel your pain. :-) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve been thinking about you, fingers crossed you will get some relief and be able to enjoy this cruise and the next one! Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God you had some positive interaction with this new doctor! I am so glad she investigated and found a stepped approach to help you with this pain. Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year! I am glad you feel that you will do the WC too.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...