Monday, December 26, 2022

Oh, What A Night! - December 25


 And I don't mean that in the good sense as in the Four Seasons song.  It was probably the roughest night of my life after the night I was in labor.  I couldn't get comfortable in the bed, went to the sofa and sat sitting up for about 45 minutes, then laid down on the sofa for a part of an hour.  Back to the bed, repeat, repeat, repeat.  I finally got about two hours sleep on the bed but getting out was excruciating.  I couldn't walk, sit, or lie down without massive pain.  I started crying and then called 911 (first time I think I have ever dialed those numbers).  


A man showed up (I think from Guest Services) and helped me get a robe, glasses and key card together - none of which I could do on my own at that point.  A few minutes later, a very sweet nurse name Anemarie (spelling I think is not quite right), came with a wheelchair and I was off to the medical center.  


Dr. Vos checked me out again and still believes it's muscular but she said that calming the nerves would help the muscles relax.  So, over the next four hours, I had an IV of pain reliever and then one to rehydrate me.  


Since I had lost my appetite and my sinuses are acting up, they also gave me a Covid test which was negative.  I was sent back to my cabin with three more prescriptions to add to what I am already taking. I have had to make a list to know when to take them all. 


Needed to eat lunch since a number of those pills need to be after food.  I still wasn't hungry (did I just say that about me who is always hungry?).  I ended up with my ultimale comfort food for when I am not 100% - rice and rolls.  I was able to get around better and even made a lap around the Sea View Pool and then sat by the Lido Pool getting some fresh air after lunch.


Later in the day, I got a call from the medical center (reinforcing the idea that when it rains it pours) that I also had a UTI.  The doctor paid a house call and brought me the medicine.  She was very pleased that I was progressing and the pain was receding.  We changed my follow-up appointment from Monday to Tuesday.  I am now taking Prednisolone, Nitrofurantoin, Naproxen, Paracetamol, and Gabapentin.


Before the doctor arrived, I felt good enough to unpack a few things and sit down and knit.  I have lacked the energy to even knit for the last few days.😱


Played 4pm and 6:30pm trivia and then had dinner at 7:45. Have I mentioned recently how much I hate open dining.  My reservation was for 7:45. I got there a couple of minutes early and waited in line.  I sat down at my table (Presty showed me to my seat for those who know him) at 8:09.  People continue to dress up (for the most part) for "Festive" night tonight.  Christmas dinner was nice but I hate having a different server each day.


After I left dinner, I met Lorraine and Lee (who were also on the Grand Africa) and I sat and talked with them until 10.  I checked to see if I had any drinks left for today on the "Have It All" program.  I got all 15 today - my stash is growing with eight days to go.


This morning about 8:30 (while I was trying to find some comfortable position), the captain announced that a small flying object had been spotted and they would keep a lookout for it.  A few minutes later, he announced that it looked like a sleigh being pulled my small animals.  After another few minutes, the captain said that it was confirmed it was Santa Claus and he was headed to the stage with gifts for all the good boys and girls and they needed to meet him there.  I saw the pictures as I was coming back from dinner and there were many happy little faces.


I hope you all had a wonderful holiday, whatever you are celebrating.  I also want to thank all of you who have sent me well-wishes and suggestions and continue to read through my tales of woe!


We were in Ocho Rios today and are headed to Grand Cayman tomorrow.  I wasn't planning on getting off the ship, but the doctor told me I should take things slowly.  I booked an easy tour for the next to the last day of the trip but, because I get $200 of shore excursions with the Have It All program, there will be no monetary loss if I don't go.


4pm trivia - We tied three other teams for the win. 

1.  What is the main ingredient in gingerbread?

2.  What country is the largest exporter of Christmas trees?

3.  Google is the most visited webxite.  What is second?

4.  What famous American pop group was originally called "Kara's Flowers"?

5.  If your luggage tags read DXB, where are you headed?





1.  flour

2.  Canada

3.  YouTube

4.  Maroon 5

5.  Dubai


6:30 Trivia - Christmas theme. 4 teams tied with thirteen including us.  We lost.  The question was how many children under 18 were on the ship.  The answer was 309.

1. What liquor is traditionally used in a Christmas trifle?

2.  What was the original title of "The Little Drummer Boy"?

3.  What vegetable allows reindeer to fly?

4.  What actor won an Oscar for playing Santa Claus?

5.  What three words were used to describe the Grinch?





1.  sherry

2.  The Carol of the Drummer

3.  carrots

4.  Edwin Gwynne

5.  stink, stank, stunk


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...