Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Tot Ziens, Zaandam - December 20


I woke up about 6am right around the time we were pulling into Port Everglades.  I rolled over and went back to sleep for about 45 minutes.  I went up for breakfast and had two fairly good pancakes and juice.


Leaving the ship at about 8:40, I was laden down with my purse, a duffel (not the huge one they gave us), and my cane.  When I got into the terminal, the power was out.  Not sure what was wrong but everyone had to walk down a flight of stairs to get to hall where the luggage was including those in wheelchairs and with walkers.  There were people who worked there helping us down and carrying things.  Since many were already off, I had no problem getting a porter.  Finding my luggage was a little harder since it was so dark.  One of the officials was using her flashlight so people could see their bags.


Getting a taxi was also easy and I was at the hotel a little after 9 but my room wasn't ready until about 12:15. I talked with a friend, played games on my phone, fell asleep sitting up for a couple of minutes, etc. until I could go to my room.  There are no bellboys so I had to get my bags upstairs by myself (the nice lady at the desk did put them on a luggage cart).  I didn't realize that "extended stay" meant people live here week to week and things are bare bones.


I was really tired so I sat for some time and then ventured across the street to Einstein Bagels.  I had received a gift card when I retired (10 years ago) and never used it until today.  I got a large orange juice and some bagels.  I ate one there and brought the others back.


Stopped in at the Dollar Tree for a few things and then came back because I was exhausted.  I actually slept for about an hour.  I then went to Walgreen's and dropped $100 on things to help manage my hip pain (lots of various patches as well as stocking up on Advil and Tylenol, as well as a Diet Coke and some goldfish).  It rained on the way back but it is only two blocks and the rain was light so I was not drenched.


Had one of the bagels and some goldfish for dinner and then talked to another friend from home.


I am going to make it an early night (for me that means before midnight).


Smooth sailing until next time.


P.S.  If your Dutch is a little rusty, "tot ziens" means goodbye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inquiring Minds Want to Know - February 9 My daughter flew down and we flew back to Ricmond January 11th.  She drove me directly to VCU hosp...